Sunday, January 30, 2011

Just in time for the Super Bowl, a RLAB interview with NFL greats, Tiki and Ronde Barber

The concept seems so simple: Let your boy's everyday obsessions guide your book-buying habits.

So often, parents want their children to gravitate towards the books they were interested in as kids instead of the subjects the child loves.

Despite earning my living writing about books, I am guilty of doing the very same thing. 


I tried forcing all my old faves on The Boy. Oh sure, he'd read a few pages and try to stick it out before losing interest. What I was trying to create was a greedy reader. A little boy who couldn't get enough books. My books.


That's when I realized I needed to be guided by his interests, not my own. You know how some kids throw a fit in the grocery store candy aisle? Mine was the fellow flailing around in the magazine section when I tried to drag him away from Sports Illustrated.

I finally understood I needed to find books that would appeal to a little boy whose number one obsession in life is football.

Through sheer good luck, I did some research and found a group of books written by two of my son's favorite football players, former NFL greats and identical twins, Tiki and Ronde Barber.


From that moment forward, as soon as The Boy got his hands on the latest Barber book, he'd have an out-of-body reading experience. 

My little guy dropped everything to soak up stories ripped straight from the Barbers' childhood, tales of the turf written about boys just like him. 

Could it be more perfect?

Yes, actually. Yes it could. 


After many emails, the delightful Barber brothers agreed to be interviewed by The Boy, AKA their number one fan and the 7-year-old super-reader behind this READ LIKE A BOY blog! Here we go...



 RLAB: Were  you always interested in writing, even back when you were playing football?




RONDE BARBER: As an adult, it's great to be able to share the stories from our childhood in our children’s books. My mom always kept books around the house when we were younger, so we were both drawn to reading and writing at an early age. 



TIKI BARBER: I always liked to read, especially books about history and science.  Then, when I played football, it was important to me to "give back," so my brother and I went into the schools to encourage reading.  The books were a natural next step.


RLAB: What advice do you have for kids who are trying to balance homework and school with extra-curricular activities like football? (like me!)



RONDE BARBER: Getting a workout of your mind and keeping up your grades is just as important as working out your body playing sports.  I’ve always found that a regular routine works best, whether it’s right after school or right after dinner, try to schedule a regular time each day for homework and stick to it. 



TIKI BARBER :  My mom always said school work came first, and I always listened to her.  You play sports for a part of your life, but learning and reading are a part of life forever.



RLAB: I guess I'm lucky because I really like to read, but my mother and I started my blog READ LIKE A BOY to help other moms get their sons to read when they'd rather be playing. Any advice?



RONDE BARBER: My mom instilled in us the importance of academics early on and it really stuck with us.  She wouldn’t let us play or go to practice until we got our homework done.

TIKI BARBER:  You can start by reading our books – reading about playing! I’m always reading because reading can take you to places you may never get to see, experience, and even know about.  With so many books so easily available, there is a book for everyone.  You just have to find it or go to your library, parent, teacher, friend and ask what they know about.  People love to talk about books.Wasn't that fun?

We would like to say a very special thank you to Tiki and Ronde not only for taking the time to speak with the READ LIKE A BOY blog, but also for writing some of our favorite football books!By the way, I want you to know that The Boy came up with all those questions himself. (With a little bit of typing from yours truly, Mommy)

Now, just in time for the Super Bowl, below is a short list of Barber books perfect for your own football-obsessed reader.

 
As always, we'd love to hear your comments and feedback.

And please stay tuned! Next up, we're putting together a list of books perfect for March Madness!


By My Brother's Side, by Tiki and Ronde Barber
Kickoff! by Tiki and Ronde Barber




5 comments:

  1. Great blog! I will definitely have to get these books for our young football reader schoolboy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cheryl! I hope he loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sooooo excited about this. I can't wait until the next installment. Can I pass this on to the parents of the students in my class? Please keep this up.

    ReplyDelete